What is your address?

  • Physical address: 201 S. Second Street, Albemarle, NC 28001
  • Mailing address: P.O. Box 97, Albemarle, NC 28002

What are your hours of operation?
Office hours: 8:30 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.

Are there special requirements for recording deeds in Stanly County?

Yes. A tax certification form must accompany ALL deeds presented for recording. The form is available here. More information can be obtained from the Stanly County Tax office at (704) 986-3619.

Who can obtain information contained in the Register of Deeds office?

Anyone wishing for copies of records kept in this office may obtain such record upon payment of appropriate fees. All information in our office is public record.

Who may obtain a certified copy of a birth, death, or marriage certificate?

  • The applicant
  • The applicant’s spouse
  • The applicant’s parent/ step-parent
  • The applicant’s brother, sister, step-brother, step-sister
  • The applicant’s child/ step-child
  • The applicant’s grandparent/ grandchild
  • An authorized agent, attorney, or legal representative of the applicant

Identification is required from all who request a certified vital record. Uncertified copies of all vital records are open to the public inspection.

How do I obtain information regarding the Office of the Register of Deeds?

In addition to this web site, you may call our office at (704) 986-3640 during our hours of operation.

How can I transfer names on a Deed?

A new deed will need to be prepared. You need to contact your Attorney for this service. After you have signed the deed, had your signature notarized, present the document to the Tax Assessor’s office, then the deed is presented for recording in this office. The fee for filing a deed is $26.00 for the first 15 pages and $4.00 for each page thereafter. If there was money transferred, the excise tax amount is $1.00 per $500.00 in sales price.

Can I prepare my own deed and have it recorded?

North Carolina law allows you to prepare a Deed of Conveyance for any real property to which you have legal title. However, the conveyance of real property is a legal matter that should be given under and with the advise of legal counsel.

Do I need an appointment to take my Notary oath? What documents must I present to take my oath?

No appointment is necessary to take your oath. All staff members are able to assist you with taking your oath. It would be helpful to bring the letter you received from the Secretary of State. Oaths are given during office hours. The fee for your notary oath is $10.00.

How do I obtain a copy of my deed and/or plat?

Either come into the office, giving your name and approximate year of obtaining the property or you may mail in a request. Obtaining a copy in person is $.25 per page for a regular copy, a certified copy is $5.00 for the first page and $2.00 for each page thereafter. If the property was surveyed and recorded, you will be able to obtain a copy of the plat for $2.00. You can also get copies of documents from our website at www.StanlyRod.net